Place:


Oldbury upon Severn  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oldbury upon Severn like this:

OLDBURY-UPON-SEVERN, a tything and a chapelry in Thornbury parish, Gloucester. The tythinglies on the Severn, 2 miles W N W of Thornbury, and 5¾ N N E of New Passage r. station; contains Shepherdine, Churmead, Rook-Farm, and West End; and has a post-office under Bristol. Real property, £7,080; of which £59 are in fisheries. ...


Pop., 707. Houses, 143. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Shepherdine House is the residence of A. Buchan, Esq. There are two Roman camps. The chapelry is more extensive than the tything. Pop., about 1,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £239. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is an old stone building; has been partially repaired; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Oldbury upon Severn through time

Oldbury upon Severn is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oldbury upon Severn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oldbury upon Severn in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11050

Date accessed: 26th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oldbury upon Severn ".