Place:


Naunton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Naunton like this:

NAUNTON, a village and a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Windrush, 3½ miles N W of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station, and 5 W S W of Stow-on-the-Wold; is long and straggling; and is sometimes called Naunton-in-the-Vale. The parish contains also the hamlet of Aylworth and the tything of Harford; and its post town is Andoversford, under Cheltenham. ...


Acres, 3, 106. Real property, £2, 856. Pop., 535. Houses, 129. The manoris divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £630.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is Norman and early English; and consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There are a Baptist chapel and a village school.

Naunton through time

Naunton is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Naunton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Naunton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11010

Date accessed: 22nd June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Naunton ".