Place:


Longhope  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longhope like this:

LONGHOPE, a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Hereford railway, near the boundary with Hereford, 6 miles N by W of Newnham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Gloucester; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Acres, 3,070. Real property of the l. ...


div., £2,713; of the u. div., £2,647. Pop., 1,104. Houses, 229. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to E. Probyn, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester. Value, £400. * Patron, Gen. Sir John W. Guise, Bart. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and had a spire which became unsound, and was about to be taken down in 1867. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £135.

Longhope through time

Longhope is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longhope itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longhope, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10980

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longhope ".