Place:


Kirkby Mallory  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkby Mallory like this:

KIRKBY-MALLORY, a village and a township in Market-Bosworth district, and a parish partly also in Hinckley district, Leicester. The village stands 3¼ miles SW of Desford r. station, and 4 SE of Market-Bosworth; and formerly had a market and a fair. The township comprises 2, 190 acres. Real property, £3, 868. ...


Pop., 216. Houses, 52. The parish contains also the chapelry of Earl-Shilton, which has a post office under Hinckley. Acres, of the parish, 3, 110. Real property, £11, 339. Pop., 2, 392. Houses, 532. The manor belonged anciently to the Mallorys; was held, for a time, by Leicester abbey, and passed through various hands, to the Noels; and it had anciently a castle. Kirkby Hall, a handsome mansion in a fine park, is the seat of the Baroness de Clifford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £410.* Patron, Earl Lovelace. The church has a tower, and contains monuments of the Noels. There are a free school, and charities £45. See Earl-Shilton.

Kirkby Mallory through time

Kirkby Mallory is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkby Mallory itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkby Mallory, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10973

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkby Mallory ".