Place:


Kirby Muxloe  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby Muxloe like this:

KIRBY-MUXLOE, a chapelry, with a village, in Glenfield parish, Leicestershire; on a branch of the river Soar, and on the Leicester and Swannington railway, 4½ miles W of Leicester. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leicester. Acres, about 1, 500. Real property, £3, 868. ...


Pop., 315. Houses, 69. The manor belongs to George Pochin, Esq. The Oaks is the seat of R. H. Hurst, Esq. Remains exist of a moated castle of the Hastingses, partly clad with ivy. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Glenfield, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is ancient, and has a low tower.

Kirby Muxloe through time

Kirby Muxloe is now part of Blaby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirby Muxloe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby Muxloe, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10972

Date accessed: 12th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kirby Muxloe".