Place:


Tarleton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tarleton like this:

TARLETON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Douglas, 2½ miles WNW of Croston r. station, and 8 NNE of Ormskirk; and has a post-office under Preston. The parish is cut into three divisions, and comprises 5,405 acres. ...


Real property, £8,081. Pop., 1,987. Houses, 365. The manor belongs to Sir T. G. Hesketh, Bart., and Lord Lilford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £960.* Patron, the Rev. M. Fletcher. The church is a plain brick building. A national school at Mere-Brow is used as a chapel of ease. There are three Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £29 a year, a school of industry, and charities £8.—The sub-district contains 20 parishes. Acres, 12,139. Pop., 3,656. Houses, 667.

Tarleton through time

Tarleton is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tarleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tarleton in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10917

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tarleton ".