Place:


Shevington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shevington like this:

SHEVINGTON, a township in Standish parish, Lancashire; on the river Douglas and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 1 mile NE of Gathurst r. station, and 4 NW of Wigan. Acres, 1,706. Real property, £7,742; of which £3,500 are in mines, and £330 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 1,147; in 1861, 1,615. Houses, 262. The increase of pop. arose from the working of new coal mines. S. Hall is the residence of J. Tayleur, Esq. There are a free school and a national school.

Shevington through time

Shevington is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shevington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shevington, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10890

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shevington ".