Place:


Hinton on the Green  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton on the Green like this:

HINTON-ON-THE-GREEN, a village and a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucester. The village stands on the river Isborne, near the boundary with Worcester, and near the Ashchurch and Evesham railway, 3¼ miles SSW of Evesham; has a station, of the name of Hinton, on the railway; was anciently known as Hynetune; and was once a market town. ...


The parish comprises 2, 259 acres. Post town, Evesham. Real property, £1, 720. Pop., 192. Houses, 37. The property belonged formerly to Gloucester abbey, and belongs now to John A. B. Cresswell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £200.* Patron, J. A. B. Cresswell. The church is ancient; was restored in 1863; and has a central aisle and a fine tower.

Hinton on the Green through time

Hinton on the Green is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinton on the Green itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton on the Green, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10870

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinton on the Green ".