Place:


Hoby  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hoby like this:

HOBY, a village and a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester. The village stands on the river wreak, adjacent to Brooksby r. station, 6 miles W by S of Melton-Mowbray; and has a post office under Leicester. The parish comprises 1, 060 acres. Real property, £2, 900. Pop., 369. Houses, 79. ...


The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Thomas Paget, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Rotherby, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £800. * Patron, Mrs. A. Beresford. The church comprises nave and aisles, with a tower and spire; and was restored in 1856. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20.

Hoby through time

Hoby is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hoby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hoby, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10865

Date accessed: 17th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hoby ".