Place:


Hathern  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hathern like this:

HATHERN, a parish in Loughborough district, Leicester; adjacent to the Midland rai1way and the boundary with Notts, and near the river Soar, 3 miles NW of Longhborough. It has a post office under Loughborough. Acres, 1, 340. Real property, £3, 177. Pop., 1, 1 12. Houses, 280. The property is subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to A. L. M. Phillips de Lisle, Esq. Many of the inhabitants are stocking makers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborougli. Valne, £650. * Patron, the Rev. Edward Smythies. The church is ancient, with a square tower; and was recently restored, at a cost of £1, 455. There are chapels foi. Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and charities £73.

Hathern through time

Hathern is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hathern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hathern, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10860

Date accessed: 21st January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hathern ".