Place:


Llandogo  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandogo like this:

LLANDOGO, a village and a parish in the district and county of Monmouth. The village stands on the river Wye, at the boundary with Gloucestershire, opposite Bigswear, and under Beacon hill, 7 miles S by E of Monmouth town and r. station; is a pretty place amid beautiful surroundings; consists of cottages, rising above one another, interspersed with gardens and orchards, and backed by woods; and has a post office under Coleford. ...


A small waterfall, called Cleiddon Shoots, is on the hillside near the village; but does not show well except in rainy weather. The parish comprises 1,843 acres. Real property, £2,673. Pop., 648. Houses, 1 48. The living is a p. curacy, united with the chapelry of Whitebrooke, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £112. * Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Odoceus, and is good.

Llandogo through time

Llandogo is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llandogo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llandogo in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10855

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llandogo ".