Place:


Hewelsfield  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hewelsfield like this:

HEWELSFIELD, a parish in the district of Chepstow and county of Gloucester; near the river Wye and the boundary with Monmouth, 2½ miles NW of Woollaston r. station, and 7 S of Coleford. Post town, St. Briave1s, under Coleford. Acres, 1, 189. Real property, £2, 050. Pop., 417. Houses, 89. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Henry Peel, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £131. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is of the 13th century; consists of nave, N transept, and chancel, with central dove cot tower; and has been admirably restored. 'There is a national school.

Hewelsfield through time

Hewelsfield is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hewelsfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hewelsfield, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10848

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hewelsfield ".