Place:


Allerton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allerton like this:

ALLERTON, a township, with a r. station, in Childwall parish, Lancashire; 4½ miles SE of Liverpool. Acres, 1,531. Real property, £8,361. Pop., 559. Houses, 94. Here are Allerton Hall, Allerton Priory, the famous Allerton oak, and the ancient monument of Calderstone, supposed to be druidical. Allerton Hall was at one time the seat of Mr. Roscoe, author of the "Life of Lorenzo de Medici."

Allerton through time

Allerton is now part of Liverpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Liverpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Allerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allerton, in Liverpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1084

Date accessed: 20th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Allerton ".