Place:


Great Glen  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Glen like this:

GLENN MAGNA, Glen Magna, or Great Glenn, a village, a township, and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicestershire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Soar, near the Leicester and Market-Harborough railway, the Union canal, and the Via Devana, 6 miles SE of Leicester; and has a station, of the name of Glen, on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Great Glenn, under Leicester.-The township includes the village, and extends beyond it. ...


Real property, £4, 855. Pop., 785. Houses, 185.—The parish contains also the township of Great Stretton. Acres, 2, 510. Real property, £6, 290. Pop., 827. Houses, 192. The property is divided among a few. Many of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Great Stretton, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £217.* Patron, Sir G. Robinson, Bart. The church is commodious; consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle, with embattled tower; and is good. There are a public school, a Wesleyan chapel, a chapel of ease, and charities £34.

Great Glen through time

Great Glen is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Glen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Glen, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10837

Date accessed: 02nd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Glen ".