Place:


Garthorpe  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garthorpe like this:

GARTHORPE, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 2 miles NNE of Saxby r. station, and 5½ ENE of Melton-Mowbray. Post town, Coston, under Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1, 714. Real property, £1, 859. Pop., 113. Houses, 23. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140.* Patron, the Earl of Dysart. The church is good. Charities, £10.

Garthorpe through time

Garthorpe is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garthorpe, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10791

Date accessed: 07th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garthorpe ".