Place:


Upper Rawcliffe  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Rawcliffe like this:

RAWCLIFFE (Upper)-WITH-TARNACRE, a township, with a village, in St. Michael-on-Wyre parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 3¾ miles S W of Garstang. Acres, 3, 743. Real property, £5, 233. Pop., 682. Houses, 117. The property is divided chiefly among five. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. The parish church and a national school are here.

The location is where the name "Upper Rawcliffe" appears as part of the name of the parish "Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre". There is no settlement called Upper Rawcliffe, the main settlement of the parish being St Michaels on Wyre.

Upper Rawcliffe through time

Upper Rawcliffe is now part of Wyre district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Rawcliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Rawcliffe, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10767

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upper Rawcliffe".