Place:


Pendlebury  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pendlebury like this:

PENDLEBURY, a village, a township, and two chapelries, in Eccles parish, Lancashire. The village stands on an eminence, near the Manchester and Bolton railway, the Bolton canal, and the river Irwell, ¾ of a mile S by E of Clifton Junction r. station, and 4 N W of Manchester; and has a post-office, ‡ under Manchester. ...


The township comprises 930 acres. Real property, £17, 439; of which £3, 795 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2, 750; in 1861, 3, 548. Houses, 672. There are numerous goodresidences; coal is extensively worked; and the cottonmanufacture is carried on. The chapelries are P., St. John and P. Christchurch; and were constituted in respectively 1843 and 1861. Pop. in 1861, 2, 610 and 3, 170. Houses, 499 and 616. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. John, £200; * of Christchurch, £219. Patrons of St. John, Trustees; of Christchurch, the Bishop of Manchester. The churches are stone structures; St. John's plain, Christchurch in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and two national schools.

Pendlebury through time

Pendlebury is now part of Salford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pendlebury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pendlebury, in Salford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10748

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pendlebury".