Place:


Countesthorpe  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Countesthorpe like this:

COUNTESTHORPE, a chapelry in Blaby parish, Leicestershire; on a branch of the river Soar, and on the Midland railway, 5½ miles S by W of Leicester. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leicester. Acres, 1, 920. Real property, £2, 940. Pop., 975. Houses, 219 Some of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Blaby, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church was built in 1842, but has the tower of a previous edifice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists.

Countesthorpe through time

Countesthorpe is now part of Blaby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Countesthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Countesthorpe, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10710

Date accessed: 19th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Countesthorpe ".