Place:


Frampton Cotterell  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Frampton Cotterell like this:

FRAMPTON-COTTERELL, a village and a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Frome, 2½ miles WSW of Yate r. station, and 4 W by S of Chipping-Sodbury; and has a post office‡ under Bristol. The parish includes the tything of Wick-Wick. Acres, 2, 120. ...


Real property, £6, 167; of which £51 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 931. Houses, 418. The property is much subdivided. Hat-making and other manufactures are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £520.* Patron, the Rev. W.Fox. The church was rebuilt in 1859, at a cost of £4, 931; is in the late perpendicular and debased styles; and consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with tower and vestry. A portion of the parish, with a pop. of 920, is in the chapelry of Coalpit-Heath. There are three dissenting chapels, two public schools, and a private lunatic asylum.

Frampton Cotterell through time

Frampton Cotterell is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Frampton Cotterell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Frampton Cotterell in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10700

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Frampton Cotterell ".