Place:


Forthampton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Forthampton like this:

FORTHAMPTON, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; adjacent to the river Severn and to the boundary with Worcester, 2½ miles W of Tewkesbury r. station. It has a post office under Tewkesbury. Acres, 2, 440. Real property, with Swinley, £3, 945. Rated property of F. alone, £2, 807. ...


Pop., 442. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. Forthampton Court belonged once to the abbots of Tewkesbury, and belongs now to J. Yorke, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Valne, £138. Patron, J. Yorke, Esq. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good.

Forthampton through time

Forthampton is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forthampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forthampton, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10699

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forthampton ".