Place:


Medlar  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Medlar like this:

MEDLAR-WITH-WESHAM, a township in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; around Kirkham r. station, from ½ a mile to 2½ miles N of Kirkham. It has a postal letterbox, at the r. station, under Preston; and has there also a hotel. Acres, 1,971. Real property, £3,441. Pop. in 1851,170; in 1861,563. ...


Houses, 101. The increase of pop. arose from additional employment in cotton mills. The manor, with Mowbreck Hall, belongs to J. T. Fazakerley-Westby, Esq. The Hall is a fine old edifice of red brick, castellated with stone; and contains a domestic Roman Catholic chapel. A large school, used also as a lecture hall, and belonging to the Independents, was built at Wesham in 1864.

Medlar through time

Medlar is now part of Fylde district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fylde has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Medlar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Medlar, in Fylde and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10685

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Medlar ".