Place:


Mawdesley  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mawdesley like this:

MAWDESLEY, a township and a chapelry in Croston parish, Lancashire. The township lies on a branch of the river Douglas, 2 miles E by S of Rufford r. station, and 6 WSW of Chorley. Acres, 2,887. Real property, £5,364. Pop., 912. Houses, 169. The manor belongs to Sir Thomas Hesketh, Bart., and John R. ...


De Trafford, Esq. Mawdesley Hall is an ancient mansion, on a sandstone rock; was formerly the seat of the Mawdesley family; and is now the residence of P. Blundell, Esq.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1 843. Post-town, Ormskirk. Pop., 1,189. Houses, 217. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £165. * Patron, the Rector of Croston. The church was built in 1840; is in the early English style; and consists of nave only, with tower and small spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, a national school, a free school, and charities £4. The R. Catholic chapel was built in 1830; is a handsome edifice, with 500 sittings; and has attached to it a large burying-ground.

Mawdesley through time

Mawdesley is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mawdesley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mawdesley, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10683

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mawdesley ".