Place:


Marton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marton like this:

MARTON, a township-chapelry in Poulton-le-Fylde parish, Lancashire; on the coast, from 1 mile to 5 miles SE of Blackpool r. station. It consists of the hamlets of Great Marton and Little Marton; and its Post town is Blackpool, under Preston. Acres, 5,452; of which 805 are water. Real property of Great M., £4,400. ...


Pop., 1,258. Houses, 251. Real property of Little M., £3,612. Pop., 433. Houses, 68. The manor belongs to Col. J. T. Clifton. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £125.* Patron, the Vicar of Poulton. The church was built in 1804; was enlarged, and had a tower added, about 1863; and is a plain brick structure. There are an endowed school with £100 a year, and some small charities.

Marton through time

Marton is now part of Blackpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marton, in Blackpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10682

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marton ".