Place:


Burton Overy  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton Overy like this:

BURTON-OVERY, a parish in Billesdon district, Leicestershire; near the Union canal, 6 miles E by S of Wigston r. station, and 7 SE by E of Leicester. It has a post office under Leicester. Acres, 1,660. Real property, £4,110. Pop., 465. Houses, 110. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £497.* Patron, Captain W. Thorpe. The church is decorated and later English; and was recently repaired. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £23.

Burton Overy through time

Burton Overy is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton Overy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton Overy, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10670

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton Overy ".