Place:


Elberton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elberton like this:

ELBERTON, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; near the river Severn, 2 miles E of North Passage r. station, and 2¼ SW of Thornbury. Post town, Thornbury, under Bristol. Acres, 1, 673; of which 150 are water. Real property, £2, 769. Pop., 180. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. Remains exist of a Roman camp of two acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £226.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is good. Charities, £5.

Elberton through time

Elberton is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elberton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elberton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10638

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elberton ".