Place:


Eastington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eastington like this:

EASTINGTON, a tything and a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The tything lies on the Stroudwater canal, near the Bristol and Gloucester and the Gloucester and Hereford Junction railways, 1½ mile W of Stonehouse r. station, and 4½ W of Stroud; has a post office‡ under Stonehouse; and contains the work-house of Wheatenhurst. ...


Pop., 712. Houses, 137. The parish includes also the tything of Alkerton. Acres, 2, 042. Real property, £6, 852. Pop., 1, 717. Houses, 372. The property is much subdivided. Eastington House is a principal residence. A considerable woollen manufacture has been carried on, but has recently declined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £551.* Patron, the Rev. T. Peters. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; and has a brass of 1518, and a Norman font. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school has £19 from endowment; and other charities have £11.

Eastington through time

Eastington is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eastington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eastington, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10626

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eastington ".