Place:


Didmarton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Didmarton like this:

DIDMARTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Tetbury district, Gloucester. The village stands on the verge of the county, under the Cotswolds, 5½ miles SW of Tetbury, and 8 E by S of Wickwar r. station; and has a post office under Chippenham. Its site is supposed to have been occupied by a Roman station; and has yielded a number of Roman coins. ...


The parish comprises 719 acres. Real property, £1, 194. Pop., 92. Houses, 16. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Oldbury-on-the-Hill, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English, and has a wooden steeple. Charities, £11.—The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 9, 382. Pop., 1, 470. Houses, 313.

Didmarton through time

Didmarton is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Didmarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Didmarton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10592

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Didmarton ".