Place:


Cromhall  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cromhall like this:

CROMHALL-ABBOTS, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; 1½ mile NW of Wickwar r. station, and 3½ E of Thornbury. It has a post office, of the name of Cromhall, under Chippenham; and it includes the tything of Cromhall-Lygon. Acres, 2, 579. Real property, £5, 074. Pop., 681. ...


Houses, 156. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the abbey of St. Augustine in Bristol; and the estate of Cromhall-Lygon belonged to the Lygons. Coal and lime-stone are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, £468.* Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel, two public schools, and charities £5.

Cromhall through time

Cromhall is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cromhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cromhall in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10577

Date accessed: 29th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cromhall ".