Place:


Corse  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Corse like this:

CORSE, a parish in Newent district, Gloucestershire; on an affluent of the river Severn, 4½ miles E by N of Newent, and 6½ NNW of Gloucester. It has a post office, of the name of Corse-Lawn, under Tewkesbury. Acres, 2, 190. Real property, £4, 252. Pop., 552. Houses, 135. The property is much subdivided. Corse-Court was the seat of Speaker Dowdeswell. The living. is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £443.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are a wesleyan chapel, and charities £25.

Corse through time

Corse is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Corse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Corse, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10570

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Corse ".