Place:


Allexton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allexton like this:

ALEXTON, a parish in Billesdon district, Leicester; on the river Eye, 3 miles W by N of Uppingham, and 6 NW of Medbourne Bridge r. station. Post Town, Uppingham. Acres, 997; but only 76 arable. Real property, £1,797. Pop., 67. Houses, 15. The property is divided among a few. Alexton Hall, now a farm house, was till lately a seat of Lord Berners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140.* Patron, Lord Berners. The church was restored in 1863.

Allexton through time

Allexton is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Allexton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allexton, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10563

Date accessed: 14th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Allexton".