Place:


Over Kellet  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Over Kellet like this:

KELLET (OVER), a township-chapelry in Bolton-le-Sands parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster and Kendal canal, 1½ mile E of Carnforth r. station, and 6½ NNE of Lancaster. It contains the hamlet of Capernwray; and its post town is Burton, Westmoreland. Acres, 3, 202. Real property, £3, 886; of which £21 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 425. Houses, 89. Capernwray Hall is the seat of G. Marton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £240.* Patron, Septimus Booker, Esq. The church is early English, has an embattled tower, and was recently restored. A chapel is near Capernwray Hall, and is served by a curate appointed by the vicar. There are a grammar school with £46 a year from endowment, and other charities with £15.

Over Kellet through time

Over Kellet is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Over Kellet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Over Kellet, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10562

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Over Kellet ".