Place:


Inskip  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Inskip like this:

INSKIP, a township and a chapelry in St. Michaelon-Wyre parish, Lancashire. The township bears the name of Inskip-with-Sowerby; lies 4 miles WSW of Brock r. station, and 9 NW of Preston; and has a postal letter box under Preston. Acres, 2, 888. Real property, £3, 748. Pop., 663. Houses, 129. ...


The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby.—The chapelry is larger than the township, and was constituted in 1850. Pop., 780. Houses, 158. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £105. * Patron, the Vicar of St. Michael-on-Wyre. The church is a neat edifice, of nave and chancel, with a belfry. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and some small charities.

Inskip through time

Inskip is now part of Wyre district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inskip itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inskip, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10557

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inskip ".