Place:


Rushden  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rushden like this:

RUSHDEN, a parish, with a village, in Welling-borough district, Northampton; 1 mile S by W of Higham-Ferrers, and 2¼ S E of Ditchford r. station. It has a post-office under Higham-Ferrers. Acres, 2, 770. Real property, £7,047. Pop. in 1851, 1, 460; in 1861, 1, 748. Houses, 381. The manor belonged formerly to the Dukes of Lancaster, and belongs now to the Queen. ...


Boot and shoe making is largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £350.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was formerly collegiate; is decorated English and cruciform; has a fine tower, with crocketted spire nearly 200 feethigh; and contains some carved screen-work, threesedilia, and monuments of the Pembertons, the Ekinses, the Fletchers, and the Williamses. There are three Baptist chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, a village school, and charities £26. Dr. Whitby, the theologian, was a native.

Rushden through time

Rushden is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rushden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rushden in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1055

Date accessed: 28th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rushden ".