Place:


Bishops Cleeve  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Cleeve like this:

BISHOPS-CLEEVE, a township in Winchcombe district, and a parish in Winchcombe and Tewkesbury districts, Gloucester. The township lies 1¾ mile E of Cleeve r. station, and 3 N by E of Cheltenham; and has a post office under Cheltenham. Real property, £3,950. Pop., 703. Houses, 184.—The parish includes also the hamlets of Gotheringtone, Woodmancote, Stoke-Orchard, and Southam and Brockhampton. ...


Acres, 8,150. Real property, £15,107. Pop., 1,970. Houses, 486. The property is much subdivided. The Cleeve hills, along the E, have a crescent-shaped ancient British camp, and the race-ground of the Cheltenham races; and exhibit brilliant scenery of cliff and wood. There are mineral springs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol Value, £2,000.* Patron, the Rev. W. L. Townsend. The church exhibits features from early Norman downward; is cruciform and large; and has a central tower, of modern construction. The parsonage was at one time the residence of the Bishops of Worcester. There are Independent and Baptist chapels and a national school.

Bishops Cleeve through time

Bishops Cleeve is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishops Cleeve itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Cleeve, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10544

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishops Cleeve ".