Place:


Upton Magna  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton Magna like this:

UPTON-MAGNA, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; on the Shropshire Union railway, 3¾ miles E of Shrewsbury. It has a post-office under Shrewsbury, and a r. station. Acres, 3,260. Real property, £5,719. Pop., 452. Houses, 93. The property is divided between two. Coaland limestone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £546.* Patron, the Rev. J. D. Corbet. The church is ancient. Charities, £15.

Upton Magna through time

Upton Magna is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upton Magna itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton Magna, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10518

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upton Magna ".