Place:


Charfield  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charfield like this:

CHARFIELD, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; on an affluent of the Severn, and on the Gloucester and Bristol railway, under the Cotswolds, 2 miles N of Wickwar. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wotton-under-Edge. Acres, 1,369. Real property, £3,977. Pop., 629. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, £351.* Patron, Sir J. Neeld, Bart. The church is ancient and good. There are an Independent chapel and an endowed school.

Charfield through time

Charfield is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charfield in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10484

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charfield ".