Place:


Bourton on the Hill  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bourton on the Hill like this:

BOURTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Gloucester. The village stands on the side of a hill, commanding a delightful Prospect, 2½ miles W of Moreton r. station, and 4½ N by W of Stow-on-the-Wold; and has a post office under Moreton-in-the-Marsh.—The parish comprises 2,960 acres. ...


Real property, £3,663. Pop., 506. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £675.* Patron, Lord Redesdale. The church is good; and there are school charities £112.

Bourton on the Hill through time

Bourton on the Hill is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bourton on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bourton on the Hill, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10404

Date accessed: 30th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bourton on the Hill ".