Place:


Boddington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boddington like this:

BODDINGTON, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the river Chilt, 4 miles NW by W of Cheltenham r. station. It includes the township of Barrow; and has a post office under Cheltenham. Acres, 930. Real property, £1,670. Pop., 392. Houses, 81., The manor belongs to Mrs. T. L. Blagdon; and has a curious old moated mansion. King Alfred fought his last battle with the Danes, in 893, "at the barrow" The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Staverton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is ancient, and looks to be Norman, but is not really so.

Boddington through time

Boddington is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Boddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boddington, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10402

Date accessed: 27th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Boddington ".