Place:


Beverstone  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beverstone like this:

BEVERSTONE, a village and a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile WNW of Tetbury, and 6½ SSW of Brimscomb r. station; and has a post office under Stroud. The parish comprises 2,360 acres. Real property, £2,818. Pop., 170. Houses, 34. The property is not much divided. ...


A castle was erected here, in the time of Edward III., by Thomas, Lord Berkeley; was repeatedly besieged, and finally taken and burned, in the parliamentary wars; and is now a mass of ruin. Roofing-stone is quarried. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Kingscote, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £590.* Patron, the Crown. The church is a small ancient edifice of nave and chancel, and has a stone pulpit.

Beverstone through time

Beverstone is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beverstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beverstone, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10377

Date accessed: 21st June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beverstone ".