Place:


Avening  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Avening like this:

AVENING, a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester; 3½ miles S of Brimscombe r. station, and 6 SSE of Stroud. It lies within the parliamentary borough of Stroud; has a post office under that town; and includes the hamlets of Aston, Forest-Green, Freeholds, West-End, Bell-Street, and Windsors-Edge, and part of the chapelry of Nailsworth. ...


Acres, 4,428. Real property, £5,448. Pop., 2,070. Houses, 479. The manor belonged anciently to the nunnery of Caen in Normandy; and passed to the Shepheards. A large tumulus, known as the Longstone, and supposed to be the sepulchre of a Danish chief occurs in a field near Gatcombe Park; and there are several barrows in which human skeletons have been found. A small manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £769.* Patron, the Hon. L. H. Harman. The church is thought to have been erected by an abbess of Caen. The p. curacies of Nailsworth and Inchbrook are separate charges. There are three dissenting chapels, a school with £22 a year from endowment, and other charities £9.

Avening through time

Avening is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Avening itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Avening, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10339

Date accessed: 08th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Avening ".