Place:


Alvington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alvington like this:

ALVINGTON, a parish in the district of Chepstow and county of Gloucester; on the estuary of the Severn, and the South Wales railway, near Wollaston r. station, 2 miles SW of Lydney. Post Town, Lydney. Acres, 2,553; of which 500 are water. Real property, £2,709. Pop. 369. Houses, 79. The manor belongs to the family of Noel. The living is a p. curacy annexed to the rectory of Wollaston, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The ancient church was a cell to Llantony Abbey.

Alvington through time

Alvington is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alvington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alvington, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10320

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alvington ".