Place:


Alveston  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alveston like this:

ALVESTON, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; 1¾ mile S of Thornbury, 2½ E of the Bristol and Wales railway, and 6 WNW of Yate r. station. It has a post office under Bristol; and contains the hamlets of Grovening and Urcat. Acres, 2,518. Real property, £5,384. Pop., 841. ...


Houses, 188. The property is much subdivided. Vestiges of Roman camps occur on Oldbury-hill and Castle-hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £250. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £6.

Alveston through time

Alveston is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alveston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alveston in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10319

Date accessed: 30th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alveston ".