Place:


Hapton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hapton like this:

HAPTON, a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the East Lancashire railway and on the Liverpool and Leeds canal, 3 miles WSW of Burnley. It has a station on the railway. Acres, 3, 570. Real property, £8, 634; of which £4, 520 are in mines, and £300 in quarries. Pop. in l851, 550; in 1861, 1, 003. ...


Houses, 177. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of cotton spinning. There are also chemical works. Old seats here belonged to the Haberghams and the Shuttleworths; and the chief property now belongs to Charles Townley, Esq. There is an endowed school; and the schoolroom is used for religions worship.

Hapton through time

Hapton is now part of Burnley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Burnley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hapton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hapton, in Burnley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10304

Date accessed: 05th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hapton ".