Place:


Halton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halton like this:

HALTON, a village and a parish in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Lune, and on the Lancaster and Leeds railway, 2½ miles NNE of Lancaster; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lancaster. The parish includes also the chapelry of Aughton. ...


Acres, 3, 738. Real property, £, 520. Pop., 670. Houses, 130. The property is much subdivided. Halton Hall is a chief residence. Coins of Canute, now in the British museum, were found, in 1 815, on Halton moor; vestiges of a Roman camp and an ancient barrow are near the church; and remains of a Roman altar were found at the camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £479. Patron, J. Hastings, Esq. The church is modern, with an ancient tower; and has a memorial font. The p. curacy of Aughton is a separate benefice. An endowed school has £1 5; and other charities have £68.

Halton through time

Halton is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halton, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10302

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halton ".