Place:


West Felton  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Felton like this:

FELTON (West), a township and a parish in Oswestry district, Salop. The township lies on the river Perry, near the Ellesmere canal, 2 miles E of Rednall r. station, and 4¼ SE of Oswestry; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish includes also the townships of Haughton, Rednall, Sandford, Sutton, Tedsmore, Twyford, and Woolston. ...


Acres, 5, 991. Real property, £11, 446. Pop., 1, 067. Houses, 218. The property is divided among a few. The Nursery is the seat of the Dovastons. St. Winifred's well, in Woolston township, was formerly in high repute. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1, 023.* Patron, the Rev. R. K. Haslehurst. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, and charities £26.

West Felton through time

West Felton is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Felton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Felton, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10297

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Felton ".