Place:


Wolvercott  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wolvercott like this:

WOOLVERCOTT, a parish in Woodstock district, Oxfordshire; on the Oxford and Birmingham railway, 2½ miles N by W of Oxford. It has a post-office under Oxford. Acres, 1,600. Real property, £3,856. Pop., 617. Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. There is a paper mill, belonging to the University of Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £190.* Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1860. There are a parochial school, and charities £36.

Wolvercott through time

Wolvercott is now part of Oxford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oxford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wolvercott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wolvercott, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10276

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wolvercott ".