Place:


Farington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farington like this:

FARRINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Penwortham parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Lostock, and on the Preston and Wigan railway, 4 miles S of Preston; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Preston. Acres, 1, 786. Real property, £7, 174. Pop., 1, 791. ...


Houses, 311. The property is divided among a few. Farrington House and Farrington Lodge are chief residences. Part of the land is marshy. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton mills. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 2, 292. Houses, 407. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the Incumbent of Penwortham. The church is modern. There is a free school.

Farington through time

Farington is now part of South Ribble district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Ribble has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farington, in South Ribble and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10223

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farington ".