Place:


Euxton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Euxton like this:

EUXTON, a chapelry in Leland parish, Lancashire; on the Preston and Wigan and Preston and Bolton railways, near the river Yarrow, 2 miles NW by W of Chorley. It has stations on the railway, and a post office under Chorley. . Acres, 2, 924. Real property, £6, 491. Pop., 1, 491. Houses, 283. ...


The property is much sub-divided. Euxton Hall is a chief residence. A decrease of population occurred, prior to 1861, from the burning of a cotton mill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200.* Patrons, the Heirs of J. Armetriding. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and has a Norman font. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £28, and other charities with £15.

Euxton through time

Euxton is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Euxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Euxton, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10204

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Euxton ".