Place:


Stanton St John  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton St John like this:

STANTON-ST. JOHN, a parish in Headington district, Oxfordshire; 2½ miles NNW of Wheatley r. station, and 4¼ ENE of Oxford. Post town, Oxford. Acres, 3,290. Real property, £3,146. Pop., 518. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £287.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is early English. There are an endowed school, with £47 a year, and charities £44.

Stanton St John through time

Stanton St John is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanton St John itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton St John in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10183

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanton St John ".