Place:


Somerton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Somerton like this:

SOMERTON, a parish, with a r. station, in Bicester district, Oxford; on the Oxford and Birmingham railway, 3 miles SE of Deddington. Post town, Deddington, under Oxford. Acres, 2,140. Real property, £2,956. Pop., 335. Houses, 74. The manor belonged formerly to the Arsics, the Greys, the D'Eyncourts, and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Jersey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £320.* Patron, the Rev. W. H. Price. The church is ancient but good. There are endowed schools. Archbishop Juxon was rector.

Somerton through time

Somerton is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Somerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Somerton, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10177

Date accessed: 11th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Somerton ".